Today marks the anniversary of the unveiling of an historic plaque at Burr House by then Mayor Al Duffy in 1986.
The first projects undertaken by the Society were to save and restore two buildings, Burr House and a second building, erected in 1857 as a church for the Canadian Conference of the Evangelical Associates in North America. It was moved in 1982 to the Burr House site from the corner of Carville Road and Bathurst Street.
From the Richmond Hill Liberal of October 25, 1973…
“The group expressed an interest in determining how the Wood home on Carville Road, built in 1813 (sic?) and now owned by the town, could best serve the community…Mrs. Hart suggested that it could be used for arts and crafts, but above all it should stay where it is so that children can be shown what a pioneer home looked like and how some pioneers lived.”
Countless fundraisers, educational and other events have been held at Burr House since it first opened as it continues to be an integral part of Richmond Hill.